I'm very new to CakePHP and used to to use procedural code.  I think I
get the idea about MVC and the structure of CakePHP but I have a few
questions.

Say I have a page on my site that is a page with no content from a
database (ie. about.php).  In the old days the page would render the
content plus include the header, menu, and footer inside an includes
folder.

For example, the directory structure would look like this:
about.php
includes/header.php
includes/footer.php
includes/menu.php

After doing some research it looks like the header, menu and footer
would be Elements inside a Layout. Is that correct? and... would the
"about" page just be a view with static content? What would the
directory structure look like?