Hi,

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem, but:

> I'd like to figure out how to do something like:
> $this->set('friends', $this->User->Friends->Profiles->findAll());
> This returns every profile in the system, not just those for the
> user's friends.

Your controller isn't tied to usingjust one Model, the $uses array of
the Controller can specify all the models you want:

var $uses=array('Profiles','User');

then you can start all your queries from these models, no need to
chain them as above.

> how to access the specific data I want without doing 2 or 3
> levels of recursion on a find() for the user.

There are various ways to tweak Cake queries, like setting the
recursion level, or which tables to join for any particular query.