Thank you very much for getting back to me Dieter!

The salt is definitely "in there" before attemptLogin is called as I
can stick a print_r in Users/login action and I see the salt at the
top of the page when I load the login form. (But the print_r inside
attemptLogin shows it as missing when submitting the login form.)

I spent some time last night setting-up a second development
environment with PHP5 and... the problem hasn't reappeared... I know
this doesn't really make sense, but I wanted to share anyway. Maybe
there's some quirky CakePHP Session handling bug that isn't present in
PHP5 ? All I did was copy over my previous app directory into this new
environment and changed database logins.

I'm still baffled, but at least it's progress (I think). :)

Thanks again,
-volve