i am trying to show a returned value from a model
function.
function shoWonum()
    {
        $ret = $this->query("SELECT wonum FROM invoices WHERE id =
3");
        $wonum = $ret[0]['wonum'];
        return $wonum;
         }

(this SQL stement returns '1' as the returned value - btw)

in my controller i access the function by:

$this->set('baseWonum', $this->Invoice->shoWonum());

in my view i have the value:

$baseWonum - but it is always empty

I am very new to the frame work and am sure i am making a basic
mistake
any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you all