There are several alternatives you could use:
* Use links instead of form input - this way you could pass show:20,
show:50 in predefined steps. Of course this is not per your
requirements as you probably need the visitor to be able to fully
customize the number of records. The upside with this approach is that
the value is contained in the URL and params passed in the URL are
preserved when the paginator links are generated
* Use a redirect after handling the posted data - this way you could
compose the redirect URL to contain the show:N param. On subsequent
clicks this param shold be preserved
* Use the Session to store the posted show value and implement the
needed logic in the controller - whether you have a new value posted
($this->data), or you need to use Session.read() to retrieve and set
the corresponding pager setting.

Anyways, I suggest you head on to http://cakeforge.org/projects/noswad
and download the 1.1 Pagination demos package. There are alternative
controllers/views bundled for different use scenarios in it. This has
been a tremendous source of help for me, so I think you should be able
to borrow an idea from them.

Greetings,
Nasko