Warning: This probably won't help you. :-p

I've been disappointed by every WYSIWYG editor I've ever tried. Slow,
clunky, and nasty code generation. The only people who need them are
non-coders, and generally just paste from Word, which usually messes
it up. Or they go overboard with the styling and pretty soon every
page on the website has its own font size and colour, ruining the nice
original consistent design. So, I don't use them very much.

If the users on your website that use the article submission are
expected to add code snippets, it's probably a given that they are
coders of some form or another, so getting them to use some markup
format shouldn't be too hard. bbCode, Flay, Markdown, WikiCode, ...
there's a lot out there, and they all work fine.

If you deem this as too "old-school" then write an ajax-based auto-
preview or something like that. There's always room for more 2.0

Like I said, this probably won't help you if you're determined to use
wysiwyg, but it's my £0.0100332