this may be more of a design/convention question, but I was curious as
to when other bakers decide to add a configuration variable to Cake's
Configure over DEFINE (of course both would probably be done in /
config/core.php)

I have a couple default values I'd like to set.  For example I want to
set a date field in the db to the current GMT time or I have an
initial state for user activity that only changes once they login.

Say the default state for user activity is 5 (some arbitrary num).
Would you put that in config, define, or database?
What about a default date (say gmnow() that you can't use as a default
in the db)

Interested in hearing what you all think...

john