Thanks for the help! I've looked at the source code again, trying to
understand why what you're doing is working, and it's starting to make
a bit more sense to me now. Judging by this:

http://api.cakephp.org/1.2/libs_2controller_2controller_8php-source.html#l00970

...it appears that the controller's paginate method looks for the
paginated model's paginate method, and if it doesn't exist, it does a
findAll instead, using standard findAll arguments either way. So I'm
trying to make a paginate method in the model that accepts as close to
standard findAll arguments as possible, then does a new variant of my
custom query, taking that argument's conditions and ordering into
account.

It's not there yet, but at least I'm on the right track now. Thanks
for giving me a good starting point! Sometimes the trouble with all
this source code and scattered documentation is just knowing where to
begin.

Thanks,
Zoe.