>  i agree.  but whay is it generating "WHERE `id` IN (21)" instead of
>  "WHERE `id` = `21`"?  is it something to do with my model?  there are
>  some belongsTo and hasMany interactions.  could that be messing with
>  this if i have not set them up correctly?

Backticks are used for quoting field and table names (and aliases),
not values.

Still, the difference between "WHERE `id`=21" and "WHERE `id` IN(21)"
is zilch - the database optimizer will sort this out on its first
pass. This is not your problem.

>  the table has been changed, but it now shows the field i was trying to
>  change has been changed to the name of  page's icon (sp2.ico).
>  subsequent attempts to change the field give the same output in all

What's you view code? That's probably where the issue is - since your
dump shows the correct value.