Whenever a database query fails (as in syntax error, missing table, no
connection etc) I would like the user to be redirected to an error
page, rather than execution of the request just continuing with
incomplete data which could cause more errors.

How come this isn't the default behaviour of Cake?

Anyway, it seems the way to do this is to implement the onError
function in app_model.php - is this correct? Or is there some other
way of catching this?

First of all: I have tried this, but it doesn't get called when I get
a database error of any kind... what am I missing?
class AppModel extends Model
{
  function onError()
  {
     $this->log($some_error_info);
     $this->redirect($some_error_url);

Also: when exactly does it get called? Is this fully implemented in
Cake 1.1? I'm not in a position where I can upgrade to 1.2 :(
It seems somehow from the code it is supposed to get called doing the
normal cake findAll, save etc and I need it to be called when query()
fails as well.

Hope someone can help. How do you guys handle when db queries fail?

Simon