I'll be facing this same issue very soon. I've had a look at the I18N
table structure and I'm also unsure how to proceed (or that it even
suits my needs).

One trick I was thinking about is something I've already done fr years
building English/French sites. Where I have a lookup table with values
for select lists, I have fields ID, name_en, and name_fr. With Cake,
one can set the display field before doing a find('list'). Here's an
example from my MembersController, where I want populate a select list
with region names:

$this->Member->Region->displayField = "name_${lang}";
$this->set('regions', $this->Member->Region->find('list'));

Then $regions can be passed in the view to create your select list and
will contain only the english region names. ($lang is gotten from the
session but has a default to avoid problems).

Now, how to deal with other content i haven't figured out yet.