Hey all,

After much pressure from some of my peers and colleagues, I've decided to
take a Ride on the Ruby on Rails train and see where it leads. The stupid
train didn't get out of the station, that's where it leads.

I was drawn to RoR for a number of reasons:

   1. Been hearing about it for ages.
   2. It's more "established"
   3. There are a MILLION plugins out there for it. And they are a breeze
   to "install".
   4. The console does a lot of generation (at least it used to)
   5. Got the Agile Web Dev. boo, and wanted to play with it.
   6. There's an IDE (RadRails) that ties into the console and the server
   and everything. Debugging is a breeze, nothing to install or configure, just
   a few clicks. You could do all your "raking" straight from the IDE. It's
   shiny :D

I was just trying to go through one of the basic tutorials in the book.
After which, I would attempt to port some of my smaller CakePHP apps. To
make a long story short....the brilliant guys decided for the 2.0 release,
they would remove scaffold generation (the equivalent of baking).

Now there are all these fancy database migrations, etc, etc. And I'm sure
they serve a very good purpose, but who gives a crap. I was already dreading
the "interesting" syntax of Ruby, now they're telling me I need to basically
write out my entire database structure into this "migration format" crap for
EVERY TABLE?

I mean, it's not hard, but I just don't wanna do it. What's the point of all
those graphical database editors if I gotta go "generate model Post ... and
a whole bunch of fields and definitions"? And it's not even SQL. So that's
one thing I would have to learn before even being able to get started
really.

It was also interesting how ALL the tutorials referenced the old method of
scaffolding. There was always a note at the top/bottom of the tut. saying
"this may not work in 2.0", but they never said what exactly.

I must say, I'm greatly disappointed. I'm still baffled actually. By all
reports, RoR seemed to be highly automated, now they just pulled out a huge
chunk of it. I'm sorry, if CakePHP ever pulled out the "bake" console, I'd
have to shoot myself in the head.

I should have known better. Fate brought me to CakePHP for reason. With all
it's quirks, this is the most productive I've been.

Sorry for the rant.