On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Cefleet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Ok I tried to follow this example.
>
> http://bakery.cakephp.org/articles/view/taking-advantage-of-the-pages-controller
>  to get rid of the pages name
>  but my problem is I didn't know where to put this.
>    $Route->connect('/*', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
>  'display'));
>  so i just tried to go straight to the route.php file and do this as my
>  last thing in the file:
>  Router::connect('/*', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
>  'display'));
>  but when I do that i get an empty page, I mean completely empty.
>  so has anybody else had this issue?

If you're seeing a completely blank page I'd suggest having a look at
Apache's (not Cake's, though it couldn't hurt) error log.

>  I have a hunch it may have something to do with my .htaccess file but
>  I have not been a server admin long so I don't fully understand
>  modrewrite too well.
>
>  This  is my web root .htacces file.
>
>  <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>     RewriteEngine On
>     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
>     RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>     RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
>  </IfModule>
>
>  I tried to change the last RewriteRule to say
>  ^(.*)$ PATH_TO_MY_APP/index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
>  and
>  ^(.*)$ PATH_TO_MY_WEB_ROOT/index.php?url=$1 [QSA,L]
>
>  and still nothing.
>
>  //this is my app htaccess
>  <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
>     RewriteEngine on
>     RewriteRule    ^$    webroot/    [L]
>     RewriteRule    (.*) webroot/$1    [L]
>   </IfModule>

Before you take this any further, replace all of that with a clean
install (at least, those files) or you could be going in circles for a
long time.

>  //this is all that is not commented out in router.php
>  Router::connect('/', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
>  'display', 'home'));
>  Router::connect('/*', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
>  'display'));

I'm not sure how to help with that. For my site, I've decided to just
explicitly set out all of the routes that I want the Pages controller
to handle. Well, sort of explicitly. This works, for example:

Router::connect('/about', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
'display', 'about/index'));
Router::connect('/about/*', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action' =>
'display', 'about'));

The second route handles requests for anything in or below the 'about'
directory (which goes another level deeper). So I have all of those
views stored in the app/webroot/views/pages/about directory.