Hello!

I'd like to get started using Cake, but so far I haven't had a lot of
luck.  I've been attempting to follow the excellent "Cook up Web sites
fast with CakePHP, Part 1" hosted at:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-os-php-cake1.html

My first attempt involved using CakePHP 1.2, beta version 6311.  After
downloading it, unpacking it in a folder beneath my webroot, changing
the permissions to 777 on /app/tmp and attempting to visit
http://www.myurl.com/cake12/ (which should bring up the configuration/
welcome page) my browser hangs for a minute before spitting out:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded in /var/
www/
html/cake12/cake/libs/view/view.php on line 634

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /var/www/
html/cake12/cake/libs/cache.php on line 208

Undeterred, I switched to CakePHP 1.1.9.6305, upacked in a folder
beneath my webroot called cake11, changed the permissions of the /app/
tmp folder, and tried to visit http://www.myurl.com/cake11/ - this
time with some success, although I don't see any section about my
cache being set up properly or my tmp directory being writable.
Nonetheless I plowed ahead through the tutorial, and created the files
listed on page 3 of the tutorial.  So, when I visited
http://www.myurl.com/cake11/users/register I saw the registration page
and filled it out.  When I hit the registration button, my URL is
changed to http://www.myurl.com/users/register and I'm told that page
doesn't exist, which makes sense.

I tried changing the ROOT and APP_DIR values in /app/webroot/
index.php, but that only seemed to break everything, so I changed it
back.  My next attempt was to copy all of the files in /webroot/cake11
directly into /webroot.  This works to some degree - I quickly defined
a index() function in /app/controllers/users_controller this displays
a small message using $this->flash, so when I retrieve
http://www.myurl.com/users
I see the message, but attempting to visit http://www.myurl.com/users/register
gives me the same "page doesn't exist" message, even though I know
that register.ctp is there.

So, my questions are:
1) Can anyone make sense of the error I'm getting with 1.2?  I'm happy
to stick with 1.1, if need be, but I'd be glad to get it working.

2) What is the correct way to tell CakePHP to use a certain path?
Leaving files in /webroot/cake11 works until it needs to (I'm
guessing) build a URL, at which point it assumes the Cake files should
be in the /webroot folder; and moving them to /webroot seems to make
the register.ctp view seem to not exist at all as far as the web
server is concerned.

Thanks in advance!