Well I'm a beginner too, but I can start you out with some
encouragement at least, and some advice. First of all, I think you've
chosen the right framework: It sounds like your application is exactly
what CakePHP was built for. Here's the process that I've gone through,
which has worked for me.
1) Learn as much php as you can.
2) Get all the installations done correctly (php, apache, mysql,
cakephp)
3) Follow all Cake conventions (http://manual.cakephp.org/appendix/
conventions)
4) Do the blog tutorial, and read the manual (which you've done)
5) Understand database structure, and spend as much time as you need
getting your database set up correctly. This mostly means following
the naming conventions. Once the database is designed well, Cake
starts to do amazing things.
6) Set up your models (/app/models), and make sure your associations
are done correctly (http://manual.cakephp.org/chapter/models - see
section 4)
7) Set up your controllers with scaffolding, and nothing but
scaffolding. Don't worry about the views yet, let the scaffolding
create them for you.
8) When the scaffolding is done right, you'll be able to start using
your application and doing CRUD operations on your database. This is
where you can tweak the DB design.
9) Get the "bake" application going. This is (or can be) an involved
and complicated process, but it's worth it.
10) Bake everything (it will produce pages and pages of code for,
fleshing out the views the you never created, for example).
11) Tweak. Add. Modify. Change.

I know I haven't actually told how to do any of these things. I just
wanted to outline a process that worked for me. To get help along the
way (i.e. to actually do these steps), the best advice I can give is
to make liberal use of the IRC channel and this group. Don't be afraid
to ask questions, and don't be put off when people are rude to you.
Just be polite, and keep asking questions.

There are my deux centimes.
-Andy