One of the things about Cake that I'm not so hot about is having to
give up (mostly) writing SQL. For some people, that's a feature, I
guess.

Anyway, don't fight the framework ;-) Do your find() on Posts,
grabbing Comments along with them. When iterating over them in the
view, you can simply do a sizeof() on your array. eg.

this is your $posts var set in the controller:

Array
(
    [0] => Array
        (
            [Post] => Array
                (
                    [id] => 1
                    [created] => ...
            [Comment] => Array
                (
                    [0] => Array
                        (
                                                        [id] ...

                    [1] => Array
                        (
                                                        [id] ...

foreach($posts as $post)
{
?>
<h3><?= $post['title'] ?></h3>
<h5>(<?= sizeof($post['Comment']) ?> comments)</h5>

If you're using Bindable behavior you can restrict the SELECT to just
grabbing the Comment IDs to save some time/memory, etc.

Pagination isn't a factor in any of this (though I may have
misunderstood your question).