I don't think I'm talking bout POST data. I'm taking about, through
setting a variable via $this->MyModel->find('list').

All the other fields get set directly through $this->data. However,
I'm talking specifically about:

$this->select('group_id')

as compared to:
$this->input('group_id', array('type' => 'select')) does.