I found this thread useful  ...just thought I'd add to it incase
anyone else needs this.This is how I have my .htaccess file setup in
www/
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
   RewriteEngine on

   RewriteCond %{http_HOST} ^example\.com$ [NC]
   RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.example.com/$1 [R=301,L]

   RewriteRule    ^$ app/webroot/    [L]
   RewriteRule    (.*) app/webroot/$1 [L]
</IfModule>