Hrm. Found a solution. In your app_model.php, add a function as
follows:

                function save($data = null, $validate = true, $fieldList =
array())
{
                        unset($this->data[$this->alias]['modified']);
                        return parent::save($data, $validate, $fieldList);
                }

That seems to solve the problem. No idea if this is the best practice
for achieving this goal, but it works. *shrug*