I am trying to setup something similar (but not identical) to Digg Spy
(http://www.digg.com/spy).

Basically, I want a "latest activity" on my front page, and then call
some sort of function to load new events in real time from various
controllers to this div. From the Spy tutorials I have seen, the best
way to do this is to have the list pull from an XML doc, and then the
controllers would simply populate that doc.

However, I am a bit lost on translating this logic to Cake. Some
guidance would be great. And yes, I have searched high and low for a
tutorial on this and one doesn't exist - but I promise to create one
when I figure it out! :)