Just at first glance, your login function's controller doesn't already
have your user model, so you're doing an import?  Also, you should be
able to get the user id from the functionality in the auth component
or possibly the session...  If you search the group as well as the
frequent discussions page there's links to a lot of auth documentation/
solutions on various people's blogs that will probably be of great
help to you.