I've worked this one out myself - and it was pretty obvious: use a
beforeValidate method. I've included one below in case anyone else
searches and needs the answer

/**
    * Returns true if all is ok, false if something failed validation
    */
   function beforeValidate() {
      echo '';
      // Sample code to invalidate one field and make validation fail
      $this->invalidate('field_Name', 'messageKey'); // messageKey can
be the error message or the key to the error message in the messages
array (see 1.2 validation documentation)
      return false;
   }