I think the disparity is caused by the WHERE IN query will match first
name OR last name. So, John Smith and Peggy Brown will both be
returned if the import name is John Brown.

The fact that the OP's query return all records is because the query
is selecting them all. Of course, if there aren't exactly 24 matches
in the table, maybe this needsa to be revisted.

BTW, aside from not properly matching first and last name together,
the WHERE IN query (at least with MySQL) is very expensive, generally.

Oh, and don't forget to create an index on (fn, ln) for both tables.