On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 7:43 PM, dw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  thanks for the replies. i've been picking through auth.php for some
>  glimmer of what might be going on, but no dice. the thing which
>  baffles me is that it works for one method but not the other. here is
>  some code (i included the model, controller, and the two views):
>
>  http://bin.cakephp.org/view/1092010887

I noticed a couple of things.

1) you are missing the isAuthorized() method in your controllers.  You
need it if you've set $this->Auth->authorize to 'controller'
2) You don't need $this->Auth->fields = array('username' =>
'username', 'password' => 'password'); in your beforeFIlter() because
those are the default values

Now, I've never implemented any sort of "change password"
functionality, as I always assign people passwords when they forget
their old one.  However, I did do an action to add people via admin

57     function admin_add() {
 58         if (!empty($this->data)) {
 59             $this->User->create();
 60             if ($this->User->save($this->data)) {
 61                 $this->Session->setFlash(__('The User has been
saved', true));
 62                 $this->redirect(array('action'=>'index'));
 63             } else {
 64                 $this->Session->setFlash(__('The User could not be
saved. Please, try again.', true));
 65             }
 66         }
 67     }