The main issue here is the difference between the Cake caches and the
browser caches. You still want the Cake caches fully enabled, however
(especially for sites which frequently change their content, such as
news sites), you dont want the browser to keep a cached copy of the
page, or viewers might end up seeing stale pages.

"Configure::write('Cache.disable', true);" doesn't have any effect on
the browser cache at all, just the Cake ones.

Just make sure you send the correct headers.