Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

  So it looks like i was doing everything correctly except one minor
thing.  I was using md5 to encrypt my passwords, however the Auth
component does not default to md5, so i had to set it.  Then i had to
modify the Security.salt key to blank in order for authorization to be
complete.

  While i was having the issues, i was trying to look into the user
details being sent to the login action, i was trying to see the
password field, which kept coming up blank.  Im not sure why i was
seeing a blank password field in the data object, but $this-
>data['User']['password'] was not showing any value.  Anyways,
authentication now works for me, and if anyone know if i was either
using a wrong method to debug the issue, or another reason why
password was blank it would be just nice to know.

  Thanks for all the help.

 Tony