I like slugs for main args and named args for extra params. Makes it
easy for me to remember and maintain stuff.

For example, on my site you read an article with a slug:

http://dsi.vozibrale.com/articles/view/which-version-of-cakephp-is-good-for-you

but you do the extra highlighting if you want like this:

http://dsi.vozibrale.com/articles/view/which-version-of-cakephp-is-good-for-you/highlight:choo

Which seems fairly readable to me. I might be wrong though ;-)