In my market (Toronto), Cake development is a bit of a niche market. It
is fairly difficult to find specific Cake work. If you are lucky as a
freelancer, you might be able to join a project early enough to suggest
Cake in the design phase. However, most projects have those things
worked out before they get to the hiring stage. Rails seems to be the
buzzword framework of choice, so there is more demand for those
developers. However, from what I understand, when a Cake developer is
needed, there are very few qualified people to fill those roles, so they
tend to be compensated at least decently.

Now, personally, I work on a contract basis so I prefer to get paid by
the project rather than by the hour. Overall, I don't make as much money
as I could if I did things hourly, but most people would spend 2-3 times
more on hourly work if things went that way. I work my freelance stuff
part-time, outside of my normal day job, so this is something I am fine
with doing anyhow.

The best way I believe to avoid getting ripped off (from my development
perspective):
1) Check your developer's work in the CakePHP domain. Have they
contributed to the community? Will they show you physical code? Do they
have working references (people) you can talk to about their work?
2) Make sure your developer isn't just outsourcing your work. If this is
okay with you, that's fine, but if you are not expecting it, this can be
a headache. This will contribute to delays in development as
communication through the third party you hired will be slow.
3) If the developer you are hiring will not sign a physical contract,
look elsewhere. This is something you absolutely need. This protects you
AND it protects the developer. Any freelancer who shirks signed
contracts is trouble or looking for it. I have had several jobs where
arrangements were "verbal" contracts and either scope creep was so
terrible that nothing got done or I simply did work I never got paid for.

As you might be able to tell from the notes above, I am as much a
believer in good employers as being a good employee.

Good luck,
Fred