I had a similar problem when I was sending the email with $this->Email->send
('<b>Body of my email</b>').The email was sent in text format. But then I
changed to the template way.

$this->Email->template = 'myTemplate';
$this->set('someValue', '<b>Body of my email</b>');

And it started sending emails in HTML format. Hope this helps!

eyesonly.