What OS are you using. What MTA do you have installed? To use SMtP you
need to have a daemon available that knows where to connect on the
outside to send your mail out.

For example,  on a stock Fedora box with sendmail MTA you may need to
edit your sendmail.mc as root or equiv:

DO NOT EDIT sendmail.cf
# cd /etc/mail
# cp sendmail{.cf,cf.BAK}
# vi sendmail.mc  <----- note the .mc

edit the line with SMART_HOST:
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp.your_isp.com')dnl

Put whatever your ISP provides you to get your regular email.

# make -C /etc/mail
# service sendmail restart

Other linux flavours may have things in another place but for sendmail
this is the basic idea. For Postfix, you want to set "relayhost"

For Windows , I don't have a clue (and don't want to).