> I'm setting it to "jpn", the default was "eng".
> What's the correct one to use anyway? I've seen different codes used
> throughout the i18n/l10n modules. Sometimes it seems to use 'ja',
> sometimes 'jpn'. It's pretty confusing/inconsistent.

I know, I think that it is the docs that are a bit fuzzy on this
subject. From my own attempts It looks like you can either use the
keys from the first lookup-table in l10n.php. Japanese should then be
set to jpn. Alternatively you can use ja since it will not be found in
the first table and the class will look for it in the second one and
find ja there.

first lookup:
/* Japanese */ 'jpn' => 'ja',

second lookup
'ja' => array('language' => 'Japanese', 'locale' => 'jpn',
'localeFallback' => 'jpn', 'charset' => 'utf-8'),

It causes me the least amount of headache to set the language to the
same value as the folder-name where the translation is located. This
works for most languages I make use of even though the folder is
actually chosen from the "locale" key in the second lookup... I think.

Glossery:
first lookup = var $__l10nMap @ lines 95-172
second lookup = var $__l10nCatalog @ lines 181-320

> Another question though: the manual states that:
>
> > Any Controller that uses localized content should include the use of
> > the L10n CakePHP utility class.
> > uses('L10n');
>
> This doesn't seem to be necessary. Additionally, isn't var $uses =
> array('L10n') the preferred method?

I agree. I think this is a leftover from v 1.1 or something. So far I
have only had to use the Configure directive to set the language.
uses() would in 1.2 be called App::import() in this context. $uses and
uses() were two different things in earlier versions or Cake.

I guess we will soon have sorted this out enough to update some
documentation. :)
/Martin