Cake provides perfectly generic, free-form ACL rules. It has built-in
support for controller or action based ACL via the Auth Component, but
you don't need to use either.

I have very fine grained ACOs, and use AROs as roles.

When I do an ACL check, I can write something like $this->Acl-
>check('role1', 'users/address/mailing', 'read') to see if role1 has
access to other users mailing address information. You don't have to
limit yourself to controller/action or any of the other methods you'll
find outlined in the Bakery. You can build your ACO/ARO trees however
you like and the check function will be able to check against them.