> I'm looking for a way to set the cookie and session for
> admin routes only

   1. // called before every single action
   2. function beforeFilter() {
   3.     // if admin pages are being requested
   4.     if(isset($this->params['admin'])) {
   5.         // check the admin is logged in
   6.         // this method is in the app_controller.php file
   7.         $this->checkAdminSession();
   8.     }
   9. }

http://www.jamesfairhurst.co.uk/posts/view/creating_an_admin_section_with_cakephp/