I just tested status_update and direct_messages_new with my twitter
account.
I was able to send a direct message to my girlfriend without any
problem and was also able to update my status.
Check my latest status at http://twitter.com/imunitic. That last
status was added using the twitter component.

I'm now really confused  as I don't know why are you ppl having so
much problems using this component.

Maybe it will help to list what software I use.
- Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)
- XAMPP 1.6.6. (PHP 5.2.5, MySQL 5.0.51a)
- CakePHP nightly from 22.04.2008

and nothing else.