have a field called active initially save users with active set to zero

only let users with active 1 login

when a user signs up (or when they forget password) send them a  lik to let
them activate account.

Forget password word deactivates the account and resets the password,
sending a (re)activate account

three successive failed auth attempts could also deactivate the account