Well, I tried all your suggestions over the weekend, and none of them
panned out. count($_POST) tells me the post array is empty, and
likewise there is nothing in $this->params['form'] or $this->data. So
thanks for the help, but I now suspect the problem lies in my Apache
rewrite rules. The site is in a shared hosting environment, and the
DocumentRoot directive is not enabled, so I had to write a more
complex rewrite rule to get my URL's in proper shape. I'm no Apache
expert, so it was a cut and paste job, and I've read that there are
situations in which POST data can be inadvertently dumped during
rewrites.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance, but this deserves a new thread, so
I'll repost if I'm still getting nowhere.

Thanks,
Adam