I run some detection logic in bootstrap to see what server I'm on, and
set a constant that tells the system where I'm at.

In database.php I have a few class variables to specify each of my db
setups (staging, qa, production).

Then in AppModel, I specify $useDbConfig using my constant so that all
my models use the right DB setup.

-- John