My thinking is that it's a cake problem.

If there is a way of doing things (INSERT NULL) that works everywhere,
regardless of server settings, and a way of doing things (INSERT '')
that works _almost_ everywhere, then you should use the way of doing
things that works everywhere.

If you don't, you run the risk of stuff not working on some machines
and encountering the situation we have here.

And nate, I understand that you're busy, but you don't have to be an
ass about it.

If I knew where to fix it, I would make a patch, but I've only been
working with cake for a week now.

You (or somebody you know) probably knows exactly where to go to fix
it, and could do it in less than 5 minutes, but you would rather write
a post that takes you more than 5 minutes to write to bitch out your
users.

Nice Job.

p.s.- thanks to Ben and asturges for the temporary fix until this gets
remedied for good on cake's side.