Came across another migration issue - I see parameters which were
previously passed in params['pass'] are now in params['named'] - is
there an easier way to figure out when stuff is changing beneath me
rather than getting broken when trying an upgrade?

I read the changelog and although it says 'named' was added it doesn't
detail that the old interface would go away - and the way parms are
passed IS an interface.

At this point I am seriously questioning whether I should upgrade from
5875 at this time-- if APIs and interfaces continually change it
seriously discourages a developer from upgrading at all. I am not
interested in chasing an ever-evolving specification -- I have to
deliver code that works for an enterprise. When mgmt sees us spending
precious cycles in this manner they question our decisions on
technology choices.

This is not a throw down on the cakePHP team -- it is a fine framework
and your efforts are to be commended. However it is a serious request
for consideration. As an OS developer of 25 years this is not how you
win the hearts and minds of developers that build serious applications
and code bases.