I can't help you with the scaffolding - never used it, but it's
certainly possible to do what you want.

1) Do this in your view.

echo $form->input('Product.parent_id', array('options' => $categories,
'empty' => '-- Top Level --'));

You might need this in your model...

        function beforeSave(){
                if (isset($this->data[$this->alias]['parent_id']) &&
empty($this-
>data[$this->alias]['parent_id'])){
                        $this->data[$this->alias]['parent_id'] = null;
                }
                return true;
        }

2) The Tree behaviour has generatetreelist() however it display likes
this:

Parent 1
_Child 1-1
_Child 1-2
Parent 2
_Child 2-1
_Child 2-2
__Subchild 2-2-1

I think you would need to create your own method to generate the data
in the format you wish.

Cheers,
Adam