I've just moved the site to another server and I'm getting the same
problem - one or two of the thumbnails are getting corrupted at random
- but this time the warning message is slightly different:

Warning (2): fopen(/home/sites/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/public_html/app/tmp/
cache/persistent/cake_core_object_map) [function.fopen]: failed to
open stream: No such file or directory [CORE/cake/libs/file.php, line
144]
Notice (8): unserialize() [function.unserialize]: Error at offset 0 of
865 bytes [CORE/cake/libs/cache/file.php, line 179]