I agree to. But it just doesn't make any sense to me that input names
are stripped to the column names of a table only when using GET. What
is the reason that cake handles get different from post?

I really want to stay as close as possible to the cake conventions so
I decided at first to use the formhelper. The great thing about the
form helper is that well, helps you build forms I think. But it is the
simple trivial stuff that the formhelper does for you independently
from the rest of the framework. For example, automaticly setting the
'posted' value of an input field, or showing validation errors.

But what if there will be an extension in the functionality later, and
cake should do something with the data? That would be another reason
to stick with the formhelper I think.

Anyways, getting my hands 'dirty' by writing some extra non cake-ish
isn't that big a deal but in my opinion not necessary :-)