Don't fumble around with index.php UNLESS you deliberately moved the /
cake and /app directories from their original locations.

What you probably want to do is edit the 3 .htaccess files in / , /app
and /app/webroot to look something like this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
     RewriteEngine on

     RewriteBase /~user/project/trunk/

     RewriteRule    ^$    app/webroot/    [L]
     RewriteRule    (.*) app/webroot/$1    [L]
  </IfModule>

Add the RewriteBase line, with the same path in all three .htaccess
files.
(The path will look somewhat different for you on Windows.)

I can't seem to find the relevant entry in the manual anymore right now.
Is it still there?