Thought of that too - having done that several times.

Departing from the theoretical and exposing my actual code -- the
system is a job tracking and management tool, with the base data in a
table named 'jobs'. The model is job.php and the controller is
jobs_controller.php. It all works fine under /cake12/jobs/ with or
without specific routing.

I want to use two different URLs to access different 'instances' of
the application - using different database tables. The two paths I
want to use are '/cake12/jobtrack' and '/cake12/biotrack'. I have the
database and configuration working fine for the first call to the app.
The index page works just as I would expect.

If I try to access the URL (say '/cake12/jobtrack' ) with no router
settings, I get Error: JobtrackController could not be found - exactly
what I would expect.

If I add  Router::connect('/jobtrack', array('controller' => 'jobs',
'action' => 'index')) to the router file, I can connect to the index
page, but any subsequent pages, such as '/cake12/jobtrack/add', I get
the no controller error again - which makes perfect sense.

If I add Router::connect('/jobtrack/*', array('controller' => 'jobs'))
- the additional address works, but seems to always go to the index
page.

Here is the code from the router file:
        Router::connect('/', array('controller' => 'pages', 'action'
=> 'display', 'home'));
        Router::connect('/pages/*', array('controller' => 'pages',
'action' => 'display'));
        Router::connect('/jobtrack/*', array('controller' => 'jobs'));

Here is a parameter dump from the first line of beforefilter in the
controller:

1. accessed as /cake12/jobs/add
app/controllers/jobs_controller.php (line 15)
Array
(
    [pass] => Array
        (
        )

    [named] => Array
        (
        )

    [controller] => jobs
    [action] => add
    [plugin] =>
    [form] => Array
        (
        )

    [url] => Array
        (
            [url] => jobs/add
        )

    [bare] => 0
    [webservices] =>
)

2. Accessed as /cake12/jobtrack/add
app/controllers/jobs_controller.php (line 15)
Array
(
    [pass] => Array
        (
            [0] => add
        )

    [named] => Array
        (
        )

    [plugin] =>
    [controller] => jobs
    [action] => index
    [form] => Array
        (
        )

    [url] => Array
        (
            [url] => jobtrack/add
        )

    [bare] => 0
    [webservices] =>
)

So where does it get the action=index from?