You may want to consider submitting enhancement tickets for 2.0
(enhancements are closed for 1.1 and 1.2).  However, I would offer one
tiny bit of advice:

Don't say "framework X has this, so I think cake should have it",
because that is going to get you nowhere fast.  Instead, just say "I
think cake should be enhanced with a feature that I will now describe:
blah blah" and don't even mention where you saw it if you saw it :P

I don't think Cake is about keeping up with the Jones' or whatever you
want to call it.  I believe it's about building upon a strict set of
conventions and a philosophy and making the best framework possible
within those parameters.