I use the same way as Stephen
Because what if MySQL is hosted on another server than Apache/PHP ?
You'll save Apache/PHP time which can be different of MySQL time (no
the same meridian for instance).
Of course, it's a very specific case.
And my servers are time synchronised together, but some time
differences appeared once or twice a year.