Check your model associations. I've ran into this when my associations
were returning a huge array.
If it's a page where you are listing items and your not using their
associations, temporarily remove those associations for that instance
of grabbing the list.
I think the function is something like unbind

http://www.google.com/search?q=cakephp+unbind