As I've only been using CakePHP for about a week now, I certainly did
jump head first in to what seems like one of the harder areas to
understand: ACL in version 1.2.  From what I can tell, I am beginning
to understand how it works, and slowly getting accustomed to the
"CakePHP way".

According to the following mailing list archive:
http://groups.google.com/group/cake-php/browse_thread/thread/6262436a44dc38ec/c0fe68290689a938?lnk=gst&q=acl+behavior+alias#c0fe68290689a938

... in order to update the alias field in my ARO/ACO models, I should
be using an afterSave method in the model of the instance that was
just created (I kind of figured that anyway).  However...as I am new,
I'm not really sure how I can go about doing this.  Once I get to the
afterSave() method, printing out the value of $this only shows the
newly saved instance's data (and any related models' data).

Do I need to run a direct database query on the ARO/ACO table, or is
there an object within Cake that I can use to modify pre-saved data
within the ARO / ACO tables?  Running a direct query to the database
just seems like it's not the Cake way...

Also...why does the AclBehavior not offer a way to specify the alias
upon save if the alias is necessary for most of the Auth/ACL
functionality?  Is there any reasoning behind it?