Can you pass your model definition code ?
I have the same kind of plugin and not much problems, maybe I declare
the association in different way.
I set the plugin name into the className parameter ie :
belongTo => array('Profile' => array('className' =>
'user.Profile') ....

Wich cake version  are you using ?