If you keep everything UTF-8 from start to finish you actually
shouldn't have this problem.
That means database tables and fields in UTF-8, your PHP files in
UTF-8 for any possibly hardcoded strings and a proper HTML meta-tag in
your sites denoting UTF-8. I'm working a lot with Japanese and come
across the odd accent and never had a problem with that.